Tuesday, November 27, 2007

A: Is for Artists you meet at a play

Laura and I were about to see "The Chaos Theories" when I spotted a women in leather. She was very reminiscent of my mom and what she thought New Yorkers dressed like. Then I heard her mention California and UCLA and I started to laugh. I was right, California all the way. To make a long story short I ended up making friends with Lyn Kupferman and Rima Goodman. Where Lyn dressed like my mom, Rima was an artist like my mom. Well not exactly like her as my mom did collages and paper mache sculptures. Rima though a painter all her life didn't start showing till 1981. She had a lustrous career as a psychotherapist. Noted art historian John T Spike, Director of The Florence Biennale wrote about her a dreamy surrealism comparing her to Matisse. Her paintings have a lingering feeling of deja vu but we can't quite seem to remember. Spike stated that Rima Goodman is our best contemporary mythologist. Rima is unique as she is not influenced by the media. She doesn't watch TV, go to the movies or watch the news. She is not ruled by a manipulated society. She reads, goes to the Opera, Live Theatre, Concerts, Ballets and travels. She shows life as she lives it. Her humor and her child like innocents is evident in all her work. To see more log onto www.rimagoodman.com or this art website that allows you to see more of Rima's work www.hometownartgallery.com/Gallery/ArtistView.aspx?Artist=201a22e0-1069-45d4-b92b-ae6a0e545dd0&Gallery=81e03744-f597-40fa-b136-3f2f71e76448.

Sometimes we go places thinking that what we are doing is set in stone. If we step outside of ourselves and communicate we meet the most amazing people. Our lives become enriched. That my friends is what happened here and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: