Thursday, July 5, 2007

T: Is for glad tiddings

There are times I am so happy to be me and grateful to my friends. Last night was definitely one of those times. My friend Jenny lives on 37th street in the building closest to the Macy's Spectacular fireworks display. Macys has kicked off the world's largest display since 1976. Out of the eight barges decorating the East River. Three were right before my eyes. This year, a pyrotechnic novelty: exploding shells aimed at the water, not into the sky. 40,000 fireworks nautical shells, which, unlike regular fireworks, were fired down at the water instead of up into the air. The shells explode on the water's surface, where the fragments will remain illuminated for a few seconds before fading out. They say three million people watched last year's display and another 8 million people watched on television and here I was with the most spectacular view I could have ever wished for. From where I was it was like I could reach out my hand and touch them while in stereophonic sound they whizzed, boomed and triumphed all around me. My favorites the squealing sperms, the jellyfish, smiley faces, hearts, and Saturn all crackling, as bursts of colored shells bombersted in air. The child in all who watched came oohing and ahhhing, sighing this was the best fireworks ever. An average of 1,300 shells per minute made the sky seem on fire.

I am blessed to have spent the time with my friends, of getting to show the cousin of a friend and her friend something so unique (hey, they were from Ohio), that Tom who had surgery yesterday could become a part of this and was recovering well, and for being lucky enough to have such an amazing and comfortable place to celebrate Independence. As the colors whirled magically around me I sent light and prayers for sea of humanity at my feet. Sometimes the F.A.C.T.S are simple moments of gratefulness.

No comments: