Monday, July 9, 2007

F: is for food not so glorious and dessert that is

Geisha, located at 33 East 61st Street is owned by the managers of the Serafinas and they are one of the best reasons to go here as I will explain later. The restaurant is beautifully planned - the bar is chic, relaxed, a little sexy yet fun, the sushi room in the back has anime projections on the wall and the sushi is prepared there. Going up to the second floor for dinner, you step on flower inlaid wooden steps, kimono wrapped walls decorated with delicate origami birds. There are a multitude of servers so you would think the service should be impeccable. It was not. Our waiter forgot the glass of Saki my friend ordered and we had to get the manager. We actually got the appetizer 1st, which was a duck salad that we shared. I went there as the guest of my friends, David and Now. There are 3 things I love to order at restaurants Steak (black and blue), Rack of Lamb and Duck. David and I both ordered the duck because we were dieting and today was a duck day. Nau had actually ordered the salad and she shared. The duck was moist, succulent and the micro greens were done in the most delicate dressing that had all of us sighing in anticipation of our main courses. Nau had order Japaneses noodles in a sauce that was delectable and she again shared. David's and my plates came with puree of cauliflower that if that had been the entire meal I would of been satisfied. Instead it was a table spoon full with about the same of micro greens. Again delicious but the duck was chewy, tough, and uneatable. I kept waiting for the waiter to get there and ask how it was. As I ordered it med-rare more on the rare side and it was med-well. Yuck! However I was a guest and I didn't want to be a bad one so I just swallowed until David started spitting his on the plate. Thank-god as I was getting quite a lump. We asked for our waiter, he never came. So I asked for a manager and he disappeared. In the meantime the waiter came back to argue, which of course didn't win points as there were three of us who all had the same experience and besides he forgot the Saki. He told us the manager went to get us dessert but remember David and I were on a diet. We asked again 20 min later for the manager and got another one, who was delightful. Now our night turned around. For dessert, a trio of chocolate - we also quite enjoyed the coconut tapioca concoction that was light and exquisite and a buttermilk panna cotta with a zap of passion fruit. Geisha’s deserts are slyly insinuating, especially pot de crème with a dark chocolate you can’t quite overeat. Nau, had a jasmine tea which was a flower bud. Everything was presented perfectly. The owner only charged us for the duck salad, and the noodles which has me saying. I will recommend Geshia for it's "Harry Met Sally" deserts and that is always a orgasmic F.A.C.T.

No comments: