Tuesday, July 10, 2007

A: Is for discovering new artists


















I was at a lost as to what to write about today as Tuesdays are always for artists. I am in the process of writing two screenplays so needless to say gallery hoping has not been high on my list of priorities. As if by magic a angel appeared in the name of Bill Fleischer who when he heard my plight introduced me to his wifes website. Not since "The Arcturians" have I been so moved, so visually stimulated and so thrilled to be able to share my discovery. Grimanesa Amoros is prolific in sculpture, video, oil painting, lighting and sound so it is hard to know where to begin. Her paintings are primal depictions of earths beginnings and human souls trapped in a Dante's Inferno. She tears at our struggle and illuminates our identity. In the installation "You can Feel it...I wish you could" she expresses our struggle at pregnancy from both points of view by depicting men as the bearers of humanity. In "Reflexion Obscura" our aspirations have limitless potential to accomplish great things. Yet often suppressed or repressed they stay furled around us becoming more like fears. She invites participants to express their dreams by inflating balloons and writing their dream directly on them. Oddly enough or fittingly the video that bears the same name confronts child abuse in a dream like visual nightmare. Amoros "Rootless Algas" utilizes our background and tugs at our consciousness to become involved and participate in our own lives. To see and learn more of this fascinating artist on the rise log onto www.grimanesaamoros.com. Maybe I have becomed blessed, maybe I have been all along but my life is better discovering others who are making a difference and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: