Monday, February 26, 2007

F: Is for food that is out of this world


There are times you discover a jewel in the raw and you want to shout the news to the rooftops but you also know in doing so that once the word gets out that special place will become mobbed. That is how I feel about this writing this article. I was invited to an event given by someone whose events for the most part leave me cold. The restaurants that are chosen serve foods that leave me on the brink of extreme disapointment. Deciding to give his events one more try imagine my surprise when I arrived at Planet Thailand 212 otherwise known as PT212. Owned by former fashion designer Anna Pop who was on hand and is most gracious, this establishment pleases the moment you walk into the door. From the hand-painted green floors that are surrounded with pink lotus flowers and lily pads to the hanging lamps covered in sphere’s you are in a space of tranquility even when the DJ is pumping out an eclectic blend of house music. A mural of a lion roars as he spouts out a hidden temple.
Supporting a local artist she discovered at the Whitney Jon Kessler’s video installation is reminiscent of Andy Warhol. The camera’s strategically placed show the dinners adding another dimension of artistic taste, recently Kessler’s work was well received at PS1. The bathrooms are also elegantly done while maintaining code for the handicapped. Rounding off the scenery the kitchen is on display right in plain view and the sushi chef shows off his culinary arts. In a world where restaurants are being charged with unsanitary conditions this is a place that puts your mind at ease while creating entertainment.
Planet Thailand opened in Williamsburg in 1995 and quickly became an established neighborhood cornerstone. Offering fresh affordable Thai cuisine and sushi in a comfortable space. It didn’t take Planet Thailand long to rank as Brooklyn's number 1 Thai eatery and hotspot. PT212 announced its official opening in NYC York City at the end of May 2006, after a decade of successful business. Located at 30 West 24th Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues it is in the perfect location to enjoy a wonderful meal before hitting the Cutting Room.
PT212 affordable sushi and Thai delights range in abundance and with lunch specials at $9, after work specials and soon a brunch I am surprised this has not been truly discovered. My 1st time there I dinned on Carpaccio done to perfection, duck spring rolls, chicken satay in one of the best peanut sauces, fried tofu that was so delightful it melted like custard in my mouth and the freshest sushi I have ever tried. Later that week I decided to go back with my business partner Tom. Tom is great to bring along because of his expertise in wine and food enhances what I can share with my reader. Tom is a serious food channel junkie and loves fish. We started out with a Lycee lemonade $8 and a rum and coconut drink served in it’s own fresh shell $12 both refreshing. Starting with the traditional appetizer Mee Grob $6 and the special Tuna Tataki $10 Tom could not stop raving about how amazing it was. Both dishes were beautifully displayed and done to perfection, no spice or flavor overpowering the other and it continued to be like that for the entire meal. I am a Tom Kai Gai lover, which means chicken coconut soup, and this one was light, refreshing and cleansing. Tom tried the shrimp lemon grass soup and found it to have the same result. For dinner I had the special Duck Panang $16 which melted in a curry sauce. This was served with sticky rice in a banana leaf and green beans still crunchy. I could not stop sighing in contentment. Tom was brave and had Buffalo Ragu. Now I admit home, home on the range is not my idea of a meal so when he ordered it I was stand offish but he made me take a taste and I was pleasantly shocked at how much I liked it and went back for a second and third bite. Rounding off this meal was flourless chocolate cake and the most delightful ginger crème brule $6 and Thai ice coffee. By the end of this scrumptious meal all I needed was a rickshaw to cart me away into the night. Anna Pop has a passion for food and says we eat with our mouths and our hearts. I can say that Tom and I and the rest of the dinners did do just that and you can take that as a F.A.C.T.

No comments: