Friday, March 2, 2007

S: Is for the political backlash of speaking out

From the beginning of time artists have been the barometers for political viewpoints. If you couldn’t or more importantly wouldn’t speak out you could always count on a playwright, singer/songwriter or actor to do it for you. During Vietnam you had John Lennon. During the McCarthy area the number of voices that were silenced were deafening. In the era of Bush you have Natalie Maines and the Dixie Chicks. Phenomenal musicians and singers who had the world behind them until their world came crashing down in March of 2003 when Maines spoke her peace in London. On February 12th after releasing their album “Taking the Long Way” they won an unbelievable 5 for 5 awards including album, record and song of the year. Finishing off they also won best country album and best country performance by a duo or group. They’re day in court had arrived so to speak but to quote “Not ready to make nice” “Its too late to make it right. I’m not ready to back down. I’m mad as hell” And as well they should be. I actually bought this album in November but misplaced it and finally found and listened to it and the honesty and boldness that assaults you is invigorating. My favorite tracks are 1, 7 and 8. Track 8 is really the reason I bought the album. I heard "Silent House” which examines the emotions that come from watching someone struggle with Alzheimer's. “And I will try to connect. All the pieces you left. I will carry it on and let you forget.” Exploring themes both deeply private and resoundingly political they have truly pushed themselves to new heights both as writers and as performers. . "It's So Hard When It Doesn't Come Easy" addresses infertility, an issue that both Robison and Maguire have faced. "I think we feel a responsibility to break down some barriers," says Maguire. "It's much more of a common problem than people realize." Other performers jumped at the opportunity to speak on this including Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith, session hero Larry Knechtel, Heartbreakers Benmont Tench, Bonnie Rait and they are matched with blistering guitar solo’s by John Mayer. Maines states "It's much harder to put yourself out there, but believes they've grown as a result of the incident. "I learned I was ready to put my career on the line for something and that nothing is as important as standing up for what you believe in. In a world trying to silence its people in political corruption it is nice to know that artists have not lost thier edge nor their voice. As a public we need to be less ready to condemn and more eager to be willing participants. They will be appearing live at Madison Square Gardens Aug 1st and I can assure you it is a F.A.C.T. that I will be there lending my support and listening to truly great musicians whom I applaud.

No comments: