Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A: Is for Art that reveals and makes us think

It was raining, I was tired and wanted to stay in bed, but I had promised to review “Christine Jorgensen Reveals.” Never, have I been happier that I was forced to see something. This production is a return engagement and winner of several awards including the Drama Desk for good reason; this is not your average play. Beginning with a short documentary, it combines an hour-long recording between Ms Jorgensen and Nipsey Russell from 1958, transferred into a television screen and answered on stage by Bradford Louryk as Ms Jorgensen. After you get over the perfectly done lip-syncing done by Mr Louryk and Rob Grace, you sink in to this fascinating journey back in time. For those who don’t know who Christine Jorgensen was she started life out as a man. In 1952, entering a Copenhagen hospital she had the first sex-change operation. The Daily News broke the story: "Ex-G.I. Becomes Blonde Bombshell," launching her into one of the most famous women in the world for a brief time. What you learn from this play is how articulate, intelligent and how down to earth she was. Discussing the most personal aspects of her life. She was a person well ahead of her time, radical and conservative in the same breath. She is something we all emulate to be, secure in her own being. I actually met Christine when I was younger and I wish I had known then, what I know now, that she was a courageous and insightful human. Mr. Louryk, also created the show. It is directed flawlessly by Josh Hecht. "Christine Jorgensen Reveals leaves us wanting to know more about her and ourselves. You will leave the theatre completely fulfilled and that is a F.A.C.T.

"Christine Jorgensen Reveals" continues through April 1 at Studio Theater on Theater Row, 410 42nd Street, (212) 279-4200.

No comments: