Monday, October 15, 2007

F: Is for following up and films that don't disappoint

This is a brief follow up on the Swann Auction. Total sales were $622,694 with the highest bids going to Thomas Jefferson's Autograph Letter Signed as President to the Marquis de Lafayette recommending that he acquire land in New Orleans, Washington, 10 March 1805, $84,000, Two letters by George Washington fetching $50,400 and $38,400. The Victor Hugo $28,800 and the color photograph of the earth signed by all 12 Apollo astronauts $20,400. I guess I know my stuff considering I picked two of the highest bids. It goes to show a signature is worth a whole hell of a lot
From the moment we saw the preview, Tyler (my friend who works in film) and I could not wait for the 12th of October. We were both fans of "Elizabeth" staring the iridescent Cate Blanchette. This film did not disappoint. I know the critic's have been lackadaisical to down right scathing in their reviews but I saw it at the 2nd matinee of the day with a packed house, who gave it a standing ovation. It's lush pageantry, elaborate costuming and production design are glorious and make it worth seeing on those merits alone. In Elizabeth: The Golden Age, Elizabeth has assumed her persona as the Virgin Queen, and she is dealing with the Holy War on the Continent, domestic unrest under the role of Catholicism, and Mary Stuart her half sister who is a devote Catholic. In the meantime Sir Walter Raleigh has awoken in Elizabeth a women's natural longing for a man and is betrayed by her lady in waiting for his affections. Cate Blanchett couldn’t be more wonderful; she embodies both Elizabeth The Ruler and Elizabeth The Woman. Clive Owen's Sir Walter Raleigh, whom we all read about in high school and promptly forgot(Or was that just me?)is just so amazingly good-looking,it’s a little disarming. He is very reminiscent of Errol Flynn which for me is always a plus. As the imprisoned Mary Queen of Scots, Samantha Morton lends the film its greatest emotional impact. She nails her scenes with an honesty of someone whose life has just gone out of them.
If you have never seen "The Libertine" I recommend this intriguing "Quill" like film that again Ms. Morton excels with a life that is truly being lead.

This film had Tyler and I googling Elizabeth and all the characters whose lives were encased in period of time. It made us find the F.A.C.T.S and that to me is always something to recommend. Randall (producer of "Grey Garden's) as always you were right!

No comments: