Friday, August 10, 2007

S: Is for spiritual inspiration

August traditionally for me is a month of filming and trade shows, so it is hard to think when you are filming from 8am-6pm and back again on another set at 9pm-7am. That is what I have been doing. Sometimes social consciousness comes in the form of a person who is inspirational. Here is 80 year old grandmother who leads the way.
Cancer, illness and loss of loved ones have not prevented Martha from getting on with life over the past 25 years, Martha Harris has beat cancer four times.
The last occasion cost the 80-year-old grandmother her voice and a well loved spot on her church choir. However that hasn't stopped this spirited soul from battling on to achieve her dream of becoming an actress. After a rigorous bout of speech therapy, Martha, a Jamaican-born retired nurse, last month became one of the oldest graduates of the acting, poetry and prose classes organized by the Big People's Theatre and has tread the floorboards in various productions. In early December, she also outpaced youngsters six or more decades her junior by passing – with distinction – the prose and verse examination accredited by the London Academy of Music and Dramatic Art (Lamda), a leading drama school in west London. "I got involved with poetry because of my little grandson," she said. In addition, "Some of the youngsters were afraid so I just wanted to inspire the young children and give them a bit of understanding about sharing and loving and looking forward to the future. "Poems are about love. For me, it's all about sharing love with people. I believe in love and sharing especially when it comes to younger people. Many of the young children today don't know it so you, as a grown up, have to show them the light, the difference between right and wrong." While dealing with cancer, the loss of two husbands and a miscarriage, she has also raised seven children. She formally adopted four children, one of whom belonged to her second husband but she also raised three other children who she informally took in because they needed homes.
"I am not rich but as I said it's all about love. I love doing that sort of thing. I was brought up in a family where my mum had always done that. We always shared. I take after my mum. I always loved sharing." Now, Harris, who came to England to work as a nurse 40 years ago, is also battling glaucoma, a condition which is slowly erasing her eyesight. But for her, that is just another challenge to overcome. She plans to do more acting classes in the coming year. "I can't do as much I used to but I don't let it get me down. I do what I can. "I always wanted to act. I still do a bit of dancing and I try to help out the young ones," she said.

It is never to late to pursue your dreams and live life to the fullest and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: