Wednesday, June 20, 2007

C: Is for Tragedy Tomorrow Comedy Tonight.......

I was invited by producer Jesse Raynes and his company Praxis Productions to see "Happy Sunshine Kung Fu Flower" a multimedia sketch comedy with music. The plot (and I use this term loosely) follows a group of outsourced Japanese Ninjas hired by China to infiltrate the American Psyche by taking on roles in the Media, Pop Culture, and Politics. Sounds great right? Not after the amazingly funny comic who stole the show. Had he been the writer I would of signed on to bring this show forward before seeing the show. The multi talented cast makes this a show to see. Lynn Andrews, Colette Hawley, Brooke Ishibashi, Vince Madero, Stephen Reyes, Stephen Sheffer and Heath Calvert deliver accents galore, movement a plenty and all with precise delivery. I was impressed by these 7 talents and felt I was discovering something new in them. As I researched this project I learned that the cast keeps changing. Note to production team: these performances are strong. You should always keep the best. You should however dump the venue and not hire a comedian to proceed your show whose material is better than your writing


Keith Anthony is who stole the show by way of his writing and delivery of some of the best sarcastic humor I have ever seen. He is a voice of reckoning. Offering a point of view that is an alternative. Filled with a zest for life, culture and country, expect to laugh until you cry. His in your face talks of sex, the difference between men and women and those cell phones glued to your ears will have you rolling. If you are looking for a comedian that is entertaining Keith Anthony is a must on your list of things to definitely do. I can tell you he made 5 fans that night and I will never be able to look at the religious zealots in Times Square with out roaring and remembering.



Situated in Manhattan's Meatpacking District at 353 West 14th Street (just east of Ninth Avenue). Comix's chic interior design, 5,000 feet showroom, which allowed for ample elbow-room to spread should of thrilled me. Besides paying to get in (Thank-God I didn't), all shows have a two item minimum. Normally not a problem, however when the wine is undrinkable and when added with the spinach dip lands me in the bathroom unable to finish the show, I have a problem. It's also highly expensive, expect to pay $30 or more. I wouldn't of cared but the staff is a nightmare. Disorganized, rude and unable to handle any situation. One of my guests had to go to the bathroom at the end. Our check had arrived, We added the credit card. The waiter was overwhelmed and had not gotten to us. My guest was put through HELL just to pee. Comedy is about making you laugh and when the venue interrupts the moment all is lost. There are a lot of talented out of work comedians who are working as waiters. Maybe you should search out some fresh talent instead of the untalented or the bitter and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: