Monday, April 23, 2007

F: Is for fashion distraction


When I started this blog it was because I had things to say that I thought would offer clarification in a world gone mad in the media blitz. The best way to combat insanity is to emerge oneself in the deluge and try and make sense of it all. I added the S in F.A.C.T.S because F.A.C.T. was taken, however it has turned out to be my favorite column to write. With what has gone on at Virginia Tech and the psychosis of the human mind, writing about fashion seems trivial. Yet at the same time we need an escape from the tragedies that bombard us daily. NY Moves Magazine invited me to their newest outing at Lilith a whimsical French based clothing boutique in Nolita. Elegant clothing for women created in Paris, Lilith is designed and lends itself to comfort.
I am beginning to believe if the store has boutique in the title that it means outrageously expensive. Items in the Spring/Summer collection range from $150 to $600. I first picked up this cute tee shirt and the price was $150. OK, I'm sorry but it's a tee shirt and there are children starving in Africa not to mention the United States. $440 dollars for a well crafted dress is nothing to be astonished about these days but nonetheless it puts these out of the realm of possibility for your average consumer. Maybe that's the point! I must admit I appreciate clothing designed to last and great clothing is a good investment. Being French made the quality is impressive. Styles are feminine, with European edginess which of course I appreciate. The light, soft fabrics are designed and produced in Paris and include stretch linen, parachute type fabrics, sheer batiste cottons, tulle, and hand-painted fabrics. Of course, this kind of quality comes at a price, with some blouses hovering in the $400 range.



This outfit if bought in its entirety would cost $572. Now for the good news...E-Bay has became my favorite place. Why? Designer clothing if you know what you are looking for can be bought at a fraction of the price. A skirt which normally goes for a minimum of $250 can be bought for $20. Think I'm kidding? I'm not. E-Bay even makes it easy. Type in the designer and hit the clothing search and viola! Now like everything in life you may have to play at it, but you may find the bargain of the century. Now while there are more pressing issues in the world it's nice to know there are distractions and that's a F.A.C.T.

No comments: