Wednesday, April 25, 2007

C: Is for the Decandence of Chocolate

One of my favorite films and books is "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory". I have always had a fascination with swimming in a vat of white chocolate and having it licked off. Maybe that is why I am known for singing "Pure Imagination". While at the New York Moves party at Lilith two decadent chocolatier's displayed their wares. The first "Divalicious Chocolate" located at 365 Broome Street between Mott and Elizabeth Streets indulged us with dark chocolate truffles encased in a dark coco powder. I am not particularly a fan of dark chocolate however Tom was in ecstasy. They also have a mild bark which was more to my liking. Upon going onto their website I discovered tasty treats dipped in a cascade of warm, flowing gourmet chocolate. Hmmm INDULGENCE!


















The second Chocolat Moderne was divine. Beautifully designed chocolates with pictures, (www.chocolatmoderne.com) Moderne is run and designed by Joan Coukos. Having studied chocolate and confectionery arts with a coterie of world-class French, Belgian, American and Swiss chocolatiers, Joan is creating sumptuous assortments of chocolates in her own chocolate laboratory on West 20th Street. She is a modern Willy Wonka.I highly recommend "Snake Charmer" filled with Anise, cinnamon and vanilla and "Caramel Caresse" filled with luscious pear and Poire William Eau de Vie. I couldn't get enough.

I can not write this article without including Max Brenner: Chocolate by the Bald Man located at 841 Broadway off 13th. Tom brought me there as a surprise and I was like a stunned deer in headlights. It is so overwhelming because it is like you have been transported into Chocolate Heaven. God forbid you are in a depressed mood because this could be the death of you. There is no need to put "Death By Chocolate" on this menu. We split a chocolate souffle drizzled in chocolate sauce with homemade ice cream dipped in a hardened encased chocolate cocoon. I think there was a third item but this was so rich that a couple of bites does you in and any more is just a waste. They also have chocolate syringes filled with mouse but enough was enough that day. It is definitely great to have a male friend who indulges you with sinful delights.

Now for me sex and chocolate are synonymous however Tom taught me that doesn't necessarily have to be so and that my friends is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: