Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The beginning of a miracle


It has been awhile since I have posted here. I apologize for that, but with running a newspaper and writing for other venues it has been difficult.

I am back to inform and to document a miracle. Years ago, I had a tooth problem. I saw a dentist in NYC. He told me I needed a root canal. At the time, I was on break from one show and about to go into another, so my insurance was not in place. He told me not to worry and put me out. When I woke up, my head was the size of a basketball and I was sick as a dog. My friends came and rescued me. I stayed that way for over a week, until I could no longer take the pain and saw another dentist. It turned out, I had a severe infection most likely from unclean instruments. I lost the show, as it took two months for my face to completely return to normaI. I became like a deer in headlights and was fearful of dentists. I later learned, the dentist who started this mess, David Beldengreen was arrested.

As if that was not enough, I was in a car crash. I was coming off the off ramp and another car was coming up the off ramp. It was snowing and my choice was to hit the car head on or go off a cliff. I hit my head on the steering wheel. From the incident before my mouth was weakened. Slowly, I have lost several teeth and others have been wearing away due to my bite being completely off. You see the girl who ht me was illegal, from Columbia and sleeping with the chief of police. My insurance would not cover it because she technically did not exist and my paper work suddenly disappeared from the police station. It wasn't until later that I learned why.

To fix my mouth was estimated at over $80,000.00. I was an actress, singer and writer, where was I ever going to get that kind of money? After the 2nd incident, I was told by three separate agents the reason I was not booking the commercials was because of my mouth. You see nobody wants an actress with missing teeth. I stopped singing professionally after I saw a tape of a show I did. I looked homeless. I started smiling less. My face started falling and I see differences every day. For the past two weeks I have started to have intense pain and clicking, which means TMJ is starting. There is not a day that goes by that I am not made aware of what has happened to me, yet most people do not know. I have kept silent. One of the reasons I started the paper was because of all this.

I have spent countless hours researching the cheapest place to have dental work. When the lottery is high I play it in hopes of regaining back my smile. In a strange way I had lost hope, but was trying to stay present. Then I attended a luncheon and met Merrie and told her some of my story. We were to get together on another matter, when I called, she surprised me by telling me she had found a dentist that might be able to help.

More tomorrow...........but I promise it is worth it! There are miracles waiting to happen.

No comments: