Friday, December 14, 2007

S: Singing the praises of friends

Gratefully I have had friends that accomplish amazing things for others. They step outside their own lives and problems to help a greater need. Lauri gives her time and money to help women who have been cut in Africa. Zelda and Gemma make sure there's water.

#11: I wish to offer as much to humanity as my friends and to see that life is abundant for all. I sang at the UN and on one occasion I stepped in for Gemma Bulos to sing a song she wrote called "We Rise". She was singing for Israel's Prime Minster and couldn't perform. She introduced me to Dr Emoto and did an experiment of his with school children that to this day I still share with friends. I had the chance to sing with her at a benefit for Katrina. I am not sure when we became friends but I am pleased that we are. Her organization "A Single Drop" In less than a year, has helped organizations provide safe water to over 16,000 people with in disaster ridden, conflict affected and impoverished areas. I share with you excerpts from her Christmas letter because she is a light in a darkening world.













As I write this, I'm sitting in my little nipa hut where I take bucket showers, get my water from a well or rainwater harvesting, have brownouts regurlary at least 3-4 times a week (everyday during typhoon season), clean my contaminated water through a filter I helped build (and teach others how to build) and live 10 steps away from my office where we have a staff of 8 Philippine Nationals. For me it has been a huge year of change. This year our water program just exploded in the country, and as a result, in less than a year, we have been responsible for helping provide 16,000 people with safe water in disaster ridden, conflict affected and poverty stricken areas. We won the Echoing Green Fellowship honoring our work as Social Entreprenuers with innovative ideas for social change! (oh, and I learned what a social entreprenuer was! So many lessons!) I met Wangari Maathai, Nobel Peack Laurete for the Greenbelt movement and we are partnering with her organization in Africa in the spring of 2008 to work with women and strengthening their skills as waterkeepers! You can see all the updates at www.asingledrop.org, listen and download the music at myspace.com/gemmawerise So many blessings to all of you this holiday season! Those of you New Yorkers, order a sesame chicken at Empire Schezuan for me! And everyone who is close to a Chipotle, next time you have a chic think of me! Can you tell I MISS GOOD FOOD!

To joy, peace and extra guacamole
Gemma

May we open our hearts this Christmas and make others a F.A.C.T

No comments: