Thursday, November 22, 2007

T: Is for a Blessed Thanksgiving

When I was a kid on Thanksgiving I would get up early and watch the Macy's Parade on TV. Since I was from California everything about New York fascinated me. I would watch with awe as the performers of Broadway shows would dance and sing their way into my heart. Yes to me it was all about the theater. When I got to NYC the first thing I auditioned for was the Macy Parade. I danced and sang my way those couple of miles as Strawberry Shortcake. It was thrilling. The next year I watched it and froze my ass off. Now I live a block away from where they blow up the balloons. It is hell trying to get to my apartment and even worse trying to see those creative works of art but I have found the trick. You write yourself an invitation to parties on 81st and 76th and you can admire the artistry without the shoving and pushing from those who clammer for a view.


What comes to mind when you think of Thanksgiving? The big fat golden-brown turkey? Homemade pumpkin pie? Or cranberries and stuffing with marshmellow sweet potato? Thanksgiving is a time to celebrate the beauty and bounty around us, our marvelous friends and family, and the gift of their love! Celebrated every year on the fourth Thursday in November, the spirit of Thanksgiving sets the tone for a joyous season. Did you know? 13.7 pounds is the amount of turkey consumed by the typical American. The first Thanksgiving celebration is believed to be held by the Plymouth Pilgrims in the Fall of 1621. The credit for making Thanksgiving a national holiday is given to one lady magazine editor called Sarah Josepha Hale. Benjamin Franklin fought hard to make the wild turkey the national bird of America instead of the bald eagle, which he found to be a coward. When a tom turkey (male turkey) gobbles, it can be heard from as far as a mile and they say women are noisier than men.

This year I have a lot to be grateful for. I have amazing friends who love and support me unconditionally. An adopted family who has shown me what it means to be a family. A career that is slowly on the rise. I am alive and can still enjoy the things I love and so much more. I wish for all of you these things plus light, joy, and peace and that is always a blessed F.A.C.T.

No comments: