Tuesday, November 20, 2007

A: Is discovering Art by accident

My friend Laura is a terrific chef, so when she invited me to see a play that a friend of hers wrote and I said yes I thought I was doing a friend a favor. It turned out that the play was wonderful. The kind of evening that you pray for. I sat in my seat and it was like a roller coaster ride. The Chaos Theories, written by Alexander Dinelaris, is 84 minutes of tightly directed (by Dinelaris and Stewart M. Schulman), exceedingly well-performed dark comedy. A series of vignettes the dialogue is hilarious and I missed half the lines because I was laughing so hard. Like most black comedies the reason it is so funny is it is so dead on. There are moments that the reality hits you and you cry but like a amusement ride it drops you back from tears of sorrow to ones of "Oh, my God I'm laughing again and this is so wrong". It is the hottest restaurant in New York City, and all hell is breaking loose. A homeless person mumbles frantically to herself; a businesswoman crassly rants on her cell phone; a female celebrity flirts with a journalist and attempts to seduce her; a Hollywood agent takes advantage of a new screenwriter; and a wonderfully long self-indulgent monologue discripting a woman's problems of the day (delivered by Amanda Mantovani) to her friend as a snide waiter intersperse everything going on. The later monologue is so evocative of what many of us have put up with at some point that it received a round of audience applause. This entire play is a slice of what may be going on in our city at any given moment. Everything here is done rapid-fire, though without ever becoming overwhelming or annoying. There are times you know you are witnessing the birth of something. This was this night. Surprisingly this was a showcase of the highest caliber and it was also its last night. Alexander Dinelris is one of the hottest writers who's star is about to shine. Next year his new play "The Still Life" will hit the Broadway boards and if I have anything to do with it "The Chaos Theories" will have a life here and in London. It is smart, clever and touching everything you pray for in a production. This play will change lives, take you out of yours and drop you in another place without you realizing it. It is the reason I have always loved live theater and why I always will and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: