Wednesday, October 24, 2007

C: Is for Crossing Brooklyn


Years ago I introduced a song called
"Sunflowers at the Met" at a benefit. Even though I sang it after the very funny and talented Bryan Batt because the song was so moving I ended up bring the house to a stand still. The song was by a young and gifted composer named Jenny Giering. In my e-mail a flyer for a new show "Crossing Brooklyn" arrived and my friend Blythe Gruda was in the cast and Jenny wrote the music so, naturally I had to go. "Crossing Brooklyn" is the story of Des and AJ, a young couple who are public school teachers until 9/11 happens. Des is unraveling after hearing the voices that still haunt her, the fears that she wasn't enough and that she never will be and that life will never be safe again. Splitting apart under the strain, Des and AJ are struggling to find their way back to each other. Crossing Brooklyn is a modern musical that deals with the emotional aftermath of September 11th. This musical should give out Kleenex with the tickets because from about 15 minuets into the piece gigantic tears streamed down my face. I lost friends in 9/11. I have dealt with post traumatic stress and know what it is like to want to move forward and are unable to do so. If we are honest we have all probably at some time felt like Des or one of the characters in this. The scenery by Sandra Goldmark and staging by the Transport Theatre co-founder and artistic director Jack Cummings III are done to perfection. There was nothing that lacked. The cast is vocally wonderful. Jenny Fellner as Des is vocally glorious with just the right amount of sadness that we don't pity her. We are her. Bryce Ryness as her husband AJ brings out the fact that he is worse off than Des because he is trapped and alone. I wish he had been given more to sing because his voice is like butter. When I saw in the program that he had sung the role of Floyd in "Floyd Collins" I had wished I had seen the performance. It is his scene's with J Bradley Bowers that steal the show. This child actor was born to be on stage. He is touching, sincere, funny and wise beyond his years. As Kevin whose architect father passed away he brings to it the fears of everyone who has ever lost anyone. Now for Blythe. Blythe for me is hard to write about because I've known her for what sometimes seems like forever, so I know more about her. Blythe lights up a stage. When she is on it it is hard to not watch her. Her powerhouse voice, she has learned to control and adds a breathy quality to it that is haunting. As Madeline she is the person in all of us wanting to be loved but the twist is she won't settle for anything less than what is her own. Kudos to the writers for that. The rest of the ensemble Clayton Dean Smith, Susan Lehman, Kate Weiman Ken Triwush and Jason F Williams all have a moment to shine. It is the music however that claws into your soul and nestles boldly helping to lead the way. The five piece band is well cast and the cello becomes a heart and a mind wanting to take flight. Watch out Jason Robert Brown, Adam Guetel and Andrew Lippa there is a new girl in town and her name is Jenny Giering. This is one composer to watch out for. Last but certainly not least Emmy award winner Laura Harrington's book and lyrics are why I felt the way I do about this piece. It is a strong dissection into PTS and the fall out. Please keep writing for the Musical Theater as you made me remember why I fell in love with it in the first place. The only critique that I would suggest is add a comedy number. It needs it. There are several places where I saw it could of helped. By the last 15 minutes I thought I was totally going to lose it and out right sob which would not of been cool. Give your audience a break. We need it.

I do however highly recommend that you get to "CROSSING BROOKLYN" at The Connelly Theatre: 220 East 4th Steet until November 18th and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: