Wednesday, October 10, 2007

C: Is for Chivas

Last year Tom invited me to a Johnny Walker tasting. I had never been and I thought why not. Though I am more of a red wine, champagne kinda girl I found that Scotch was rather tasty when mixed. The event was also an amazing multi media presentation that was informative. I learned that though I may not buy the product I would recommend it and thus their advertising dollar was well spent. When Tom again invited me to the Chivas tasting I was excited as I wanted to compare the two events and see if my horizons could be expanded. What I learned was how a company can waste an exuberant amount of funds to accomplish the exact opposite of what was intended. Billed as The Chivas Life w. Jeremy Bell, Chivas Regal offered an evening of complimentary Scotch, Dancing, and Hors' Dourves. Touring the country to spread it's message, but what is it? You are greeted by girls dressed scantly in showgirl attire and Mr. Bell in a kilt. Right then and there was a mixed message. It was obvious by the cocktails a Chivas Apple Martini and A Chivas Sidecar that they were trying to accommodate the female market. When you went to the bar the drinks were 1/2 Chivas and then ice and then mixer. Their website states on the front page "Here at Chivas we're committed to responsible drinking so we need to ensure that you are over the legal drinking age and that you are legally permitted to view this site in the country that you are in." I am surprised a lawsuit has not occurred from the lack of responsibility. They also had a chocolate fondue which again made no sense. Whiskey/Scotch does not go with chocolate. It was explained to me that the 18year old has hints of chocolate. Really? At the JW tasting I knew all the scents. Yet here....? When it came time for the tasting it was done in sections with the rest of the group looking in. No multi media, no information just Jeremy Bell making jokes. I learned nothing except Chivas is smoky an I like JW better straight.

What happened next was the most surprising. They were giving away three DVD players to the best dancers. Now I can dance. Especially club style. So I handed my purse to Tom and off I went. The 1st DVD went to a man who couldn't move. Next one of the dancers pulled me on stage and Mr. Bell gave a DVD player to a girl who had two left feet. So disgusted I jumped off the stage and a girl grabbed me to dance and before I could dance Mr Bell gave her the DVD. I later had a chance to ask Mr. Bell why? His response "I promised the DVD's before the dance contest." In other words it was rigged. The stupidity of this statement was I told him I was a writer. This experience has turned me against Chivas. Chivas needs to take lessons from "The Striding Man" and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: