Thursday, June 28, 2007

S:Is for standstill

There is a tragedy happening in New York either the transportation system is breaking down or the sky opened up and spit people. Maybe it is the combination of both. I submit for your understanding four episodes that happened to me in the past 48 hours.

I was going to appear on the "Today" show and so I had to show up at 4:30. I live on the Upper West Side and found out nothing was running from 3-6 so I boarded a bus across town as I was told buses and subways run there. I waited on 5th Ave for over an hour to find out nope, same deal. Thank-you Moon, for getting me to my destination on time. For as I started to walk this amazing Pakistani man gave me a ride. Yes there is hope in NY.

Later that day I was caught in the subway brown out. Can someone Please tell me how lights, speakers and air condition can work and yet a subway can't? It's kinda of an oximoron, but was grateful that at least I was cool.

This morning I needed to go downtown and went to the bus stop only to have three busses pass me. I walked to another stop that was a major crosstreet where an MTA officer was standing and he told me they were all limited. The irony was that none were marked. When I finally got on the bus it charged me twice and though there was a MTA official present nothing could be done.

The last thing that happened was again going across town a car hit the bus and it took me 2 1/2 hours to even get across town. Now granted I made the most of the situation and made a lot of friends but my time is precious. Why couldn't they just send a rescue bus and let those who wanted to go on with their day do so.

We live in a city where public transportation is a must. There is no where to park a car unless you can afford to rent it an apartment. Have you ever tried to buy gas in New York? Very over priced compared to the rest of the world. Bikes are great but you take your life in your hands as soon as you board one as there is no specific lane.I just heard the price of subway and buses starting next January is going to $4.00. Considering that we were lied to last time the amount was raised, the service is deplorable and they can strike when they feel like it how can they justified a drastic raise in fare. Here is another reason to have a voice and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: