Thursday, May 3, 2007

T: Is for Let's Speak Tango

I was at another event where I was introduced to actor, writer, director Carlo Magaletti who told me about his new production direct from Germany "Let's Speak Tango". I forgot all about it until Carlo called me and invited me to see this production. I grew up on Flamenco having attended performances of Jose Greco at the Hollywood Bowl and later the Greek Theater. I am an avid fan of Forever Tango, Tango Argentina and the tango sequences in Strictly Ballroom so I said I would love to attend. I was sent the following press release.

Let's Speak Tango! tells the story of a couple who meet while dancing the tango: he's Italian and she German. The play, now set in the U.S., intertwines the use of classical and modern forms of tango with dialogue to force the viewer to listen and focus on the emotion of the dance form. Even though they don't speak the same language the couple understands each other perfectly as they fall in love. They learn to communicate by listening to each other through the language of dance. As their relationship grows, Giorgio realizes that the more he learns English, the less they understand each other. The play explores expression through dance, fusing movement with dialogue.

I learned that it was a smash in Munich this past season and played to sold out houses. I couldn't wait to attend so I called Tom and we had a friend Jennifer who was in town so I arranged for us all to attend. Housed until May 6th at the American Theatre of Actors located on 54th street I arrived early to make sure there were no problems which turned out to be good as the seats are on a 1st come 1st serve bases and the show was nearly sold to capacity. Let's Speak Tango is completely intriguing with an array of problems. Let's start with the positive. The main actors Carlo Magaletti as Giorgio and Katja Lechthaler as Elizabeth are charismatic and make the most of the dialogue given. One wishes they danced more and had a stand out number that was just them but I am getting ahead of myself. Tango dancers Diego Blanco, Hernan Brizuela, Heather Gehring, Miwa Kaneko, Ana Padron, Walter Perez and Valeria Solomonoff are spectacular and stand out each in their own way. Fausto Lombardi as Professor Jeff Pillet Mechanic is reminiscent of a Dr Pangloss in Candide or the professor in Rocky Horror. At 1st he's annoying but he grows on you and adds to the tale of the show. The choreography by Valeria Solomonoff has moments of sweeping wonderment such as in the umbrella and broom dances. Now is when I become confused because I am not sure who is to blame for the rest. I tend to think it is Carlo since he is credited as the writer and director. Had I not been sent the press release I would not of known what this was about. It is not set up clearly enough in the 1st number and I have to wonder since it is mostly dance is this not the choreographer's job? There is no beginning, middle or end. Once they move in together it starts to become clearer and the scenes between the two lovers are clever in their miscommunication. In the middle there is this exciting piece of music with drums that would of been the perfect build to a middle yet there was no dance and I was in shock as to why this was left just to listen too. The ending is also disappointing as it either sells out, ran out of time and or money to extend the piece or this is a piece in progress but I left confused and so did most of the audience. The reason I state this is when we got outside other attendees were expressing their likes and disappointments.




This production has a lot of reasons to attend but it needs to workshop to go further. There is something in this quirky piece of dance/theater that is worth developing and also seeing. The admission: $40, the website to check this out www.carlomagaletti.com

When ones goes to the theater it is because they want to be moved and satisfied. I want to fall in love with what I see. I am waiting for that magical moment I am transported into their mindset for that reason I am looking forward to "Coram Boy" for this exact reason and that's a F.A.C.T.

No comments: