Monday, April 30, 2007

F: Is for Food Glorious Food!

One of my favorite foods has always been BBQ Ribs. I looked forward to Easter when my aunt would make the most scrumptious ribs ever. Knowing how much I adored them she would make me care packages which I greatly appreciated. I came to believe that all ribs were the same, then I came to NY. Imagine my surprise when I had a beef rib. I thought they came only in pork. Dry rub, who invented this? It is God awful and not what I came to crave. I have eaten at Virgil's and was not impressed! Dallas BBQ is like the 711 of ribs. Chinese ribs are tasty but leave a lot to be desired. I live on the Upper West Side and there was a hole in the wall place that was always packed. It looked fatal, as if it might give Taco Bell a run for its money. I was even more surprised when it moved to a bigger location across the street. Once it opened I stopped in once and it was clean, spacious and well cared for. I had the feeling that if I ate there I was in for a Boston Market-like meal. They didn't have butternut squash which is my favorite so I left. Last Tuesday I was craving ribs and I hadn't eaten all day. A couple of glasses of wine didn't help so here I was and I ordered. I decided on the 1/4 rib meal which came with salad, a side and pita. I ordered mash potatoes. The smell is intoxicating so before you start your mouth is watering. I started with the pita which is warmed on the BBQ. Who knew a pita could taste so good! The mashed real and the ribs were delectable, melting in your mouth with each bite. I was home again and my aunt who has since died was brought to mind. I was in the throes of pork-induced delight. Chirping Chicken is a bargain as well. I paid $8.29 for all of this. The portions are large, so I came home with a rib and 1/2 the mash potato's and the salad which I finished the next day with the same satisfied response.
When you enter the Chirping Chicken, one of the first things you will notice is that it's busy. Doormen and workers from the area line the counter. The phones are maned with precision and bags of waiting delights are being filled for culinary arousal. Don't worry, you won't wait long. Those who take your order are polite, courteous and efficient. Demetri the owner adds to this quality. Freshly-made it gives the impression of a constant state of always being prepared. Chicken and Ribs have a reputation for being greasy its not, its cooked perfectly. There are also vegetarian options and Greek dishes and sides. I can't wait to try the tzadiki sauce and the fried zucchini. I am looking forward to concerts in the park and surprising someone with a picnic basket filled with finger licking morsals. You can get a full chicken for $11 dollars.
I returned Thursday with my friend Bree who joined me in Ribs. This time I traded the salad for cole slaw and Bree had a baked sweet potato. Again I was in heaven and so was Bree. She actually managed to eat the whole thing which was thrilling as Bree eats like a bird. She wanted to go back the next day for lunch. Our friend David wants to join in. I can't wait to turn people on to chirping. Here is the address and website so you to can check it out: Chirping Chicken: 350 Amsterdam Ave off 77th www.chirpingchickennyc.com.

In a city where everything seems so expensive and service, fresh food and quality seem a thing of the past it is reassuring to know that establishments like this exist. Check this out and you too will be oohing and ahhing over this finger licking F.A.C.T.

No comments: