Monday, March 19, 2007

F: Is for Japanese/ Italian fusion

Green tea ravioli with lobster, seared salmon with avocado and peperoncini, and yellowtail and tuna in asparagus and pesto were on the menu when I was sent an invitation to an opening of a Japanese/ Italian fusion restaurant, bar and lounge. Natsumi is nestled in the lobby of the Amsterdam Court located at 226 W 50th St between Broadway and Eighth Ave. Split in two due to a lobby that divides the space, the bar/lounge’s main feature is a waterfall that sits behind a triple duty bar (raw, sushi and liquor). Tastefully decorated in bright colors and low seating tables. The main dining area is just a step away and more traditional with room dividers creating intimate experiences. It was hard to experience what a typical night here would be because the opening was out of hand with hordes of people cramming the space to over capacity. I am not a fish eater and especially not raw so I invited my collaborator and business partner Tom to join me as his expertise always allows me to write a complete and thorough article. He was so disgusted by the quality of people invited and the lack of air space that after fighting his way to the bar and waiting over 20 min for a drink left with out trying anything. I arrived ½ hour before Tom and it was defiantly already overcrowded. The PR girl personally got me a Japanese Mohito, which was wonderful, and friends had seats so my experience was not as bad. The problem was I had only tried one dish, spinach noodles with a sesame sauce and that does not an article make. So when Tom wanted to leave I was ready but I met Daniel who talked me into staying and promised me food I could write about. After trying them, I was glad I stayed. Cubes of beef tenderloin surrounded in a shitake peppercorn sauce assaulted my senses and melted in my mouth. I also had chicken drizzled in a ginger red bean sauce that was delectable and I realized sauces are one of this chef’s specialties. Chef, Haru Konagaya is formerly of Haru and his food is inventive. My friends and those I talked to raved about the sushi saying it was fresh and the seaweed used was less salty than normal. This restaurant has a lot to overcome despite it's great fare. It's location seems to be cursed as several establishments have tried before and failed miserably. It is bookend by nude tourist traps where fruit juice sold at huge premium and it is extremely $$$$ for the area. I however wish them well and applaud their staff for putting up with the rude and overbearing 1st nighters and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: