Friday, February 16, 2007

S: Is for words are powerful tools



Words are powerful tools that can either uplift us or drive us to the depths of despair. We are the puppet masters of each other’s lives controlling the emotional out pouring that test one’s strength of character. I once met a girl at a party who I didn’t care for much. She was ignorant, self-inflated and horrible dresser, except for the shoes in which she had great taste. I talked to her for all of five minuets, then I got stuck walking down the street with her. I basically was mute except for a few nods and mmhhh. I let her do the talking; it was much simpler that way. I ended up seeing her twice more and got by with a few more nods. Six months go by and I get invited to a concert. I see this girl who gives me this look and I don’t recognize her except for the bad clothing choices and sensational shoes and then it dawns on me who she is. Now none of this would carry any weight except I find out she has been spreading rumors that I am anti-Semitic. This girl who knew nothing about me picks the most ridiculous thing to say, had she taken the time, to find out about me. My favorite book is “I never saw another Butterfly”. It is the poems and the drawings from the children of Terezan. Though ensconced in grief it’s message uplifts the reader with hope in a world gone mad. This book lived underneath my pillow until I lent it to someone who needed it more than me. It has got me through the biggest trials of my life. I sing at benefits for Beitar and the Mayor is a friend. I have never looked as people as a religion, race or color but as people. I’m always afraid I am going to use the wrong word and offend someone because I am not up on the latest version. I know the newest term is African American but I find this so odd. Most African Americans are born here and a lot of their parents are from other places such as Trinidad or Jamaica. Why are they African Americans? My friend Tazzadi is from London. I have heard the reasoning is because all black human beings originated from Africa but does that mean that God was segregating? I am German, French and English does this make me a mutt American? The point is that these words cause gaps. I am completely white; I am not insulted when someone says it. Why is there a difference? I have talked with my African American friends and they don’t get it either. We who live in America are all Americans. It’s where we live. Black, yellow, white, tan, and caramel describe a tone of skin not who we are underneath. Jewish, Buddhist, Catholic, Atheist, and new age are formats of worship, which is our right to decide. My newest book of choice is the “Magus of Strovolos” It’s about a man who is called by those who fear and misjudge him satanic, quack and every name you can think of that is derogatory. This man however was an amazing healer who cured a magnitude of people and was sought after. Even some of the people he cured cursed him because he saw into their soul and they couldn’t handle the unconditional love. His level of tolerance of the ignorance of others was beyond most of ours and definitely above mine. This girl who I barely knew devastated me in her ability to conceive and spread this rumor about me. People I thought were friends have reached into the core of my soul in their misjudgment. I love my friends unconditionally and am therefore hurt more deeply. Today is my birthday and I reflect on this because I too have caused damage and forgotten that words are a two-edge sword. They can either uplift or they can cause insurmountable devastation. I choose now to spread more light and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: