Monday, February 12, 2007

F: Is for 7 on Seventh

The Fashion Week frenzy is over and yet our thoughts are still swirling around. While more established designers stuck to the tried, three young new designers stick out in my mind as the ones to watch. For both seasons Nicole Romano, Tracy Nichel and New York Couture represent a fashion up rise that span to all. I got an invite to a new Fashion House 7 on Seventh and because of my interest in new work attended. There was so much here but it was very hit and miss with major mistakes being made by the designers.
I dedicate this whole column to it as it is a house to be watched despite it flaws.

1st up is Devikar who states “Fashion to me is a state of mind, a hunger in he soul, a revelation in what you feel. With my passion and vision for fashion, I will open your mind.” Self taught and heckled in school she lost some of the lessons one needs to learn such as fabric choices and fit. Cutting is her strength and the clothes that fit she mistakenly did in pleather. This jungle print dress was her best. Stunningly laced in the backed like the web of a spider. She also had a large male collection but the suits were so boxy that on skinny models they just swam. I could however see them adding a hit of sophistication on a statuesque man such as a football player. She had two jogging suits and as far as I could see this was her forte.

Next up Royal T by Amber Marion. This 18 year old needs much work. Her color choices were like a jewelry box splayed all over the runway. Her clothes however were not cut well, sewn well or fit well. Not one model looked good and that is saying a lot.

Next up Linda Love who’s eclectic style made me want to keep an eye on her. I chose the subtlest piece because it was just truly beautiful. Extremely reminiscent of Dr. Zhivago’s Laura.

Her colors, fabric’s and her understanding of the symmetry of women’s bodies was just beautiful. Again this fashion diva had hits and misses. This peacock outfit is a prime example. The coat and the color were stunning with an accent of feathers but when the coat came off the front of the dress was a bejeweled avalanche and the statement two much spoils the look definitely applies. I still would caution on fit. Some of the dresses that would have stood out were just way to short and better paired with leggings.
Josephine Dorsey started off well with a fitted three-piece suit but it went down hill from there in fabric. Most of the outfits had a nun like appearance. Again what is up with pleather? It doesn’t breath; you sweat profusely and in a building chill not a good fabric choice! I did however like this maroon dress and found it highly sellable. Ms. Dorsey fabric needs to move, be finished and fit

Last up was Udo Nene. Born and raised in Nigeria she started in fashion at the age of 9. This collection was by far worth waiting to see. I add my two favorites. This pumpkin halter flowed and was elegant while still being practical. Each piece was jeweled and done to perfection. These designed followed through with being just as interesting from the back as well as the front. Most importantly the three ingredients that all designers should have cut, fit and a good seamstress applied here and now I could concentrate on the designs.
In every show designers tried to show their best but the competition is fierce. 7 on Seventh has the right idea in nurturing these designers. I most definitely look forward to seeing their progress. Though I have critiqued in this column one cannot move forward without it. As I have stated numerous times this is just my opinion. One interesting fact I have left out was that the audience was primarily African American though the paparazzi represented some of the best fashion magazines. When I question the owner of 7 on Seventh he told me if a African American run company sends out invitations the prejudices of this country run rampant in this industry. The imagination in this show was more unique and interesting than some of the top designers and that sadly is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: