Tuesday, February 6, 2007

A: Is for The Horsies and the Bears


The Super Bowl is the most-watched telecast of the year. Company's spend 2.5 million dollars for 30 seconds of air time and they don't even get exclusivity. Last night was no exception, 141.4 million viewers tuned in to the artistry known as football. I know there are some of you who would adamantly disagree that this is not an art and up until last night I wouldn't of believed it either. Hey I referred to the Bears and Colts as cute little animals and being a girl I picked the horsies. Then the game started and the uniforms of the bears and their athletic prowess made me change teams. So I started to root for the Bears. In the 1st 14 seconds I was right. History was made and the opening kick was a touchdown. Devon Hestor #23 was a hero. This game was already breaking records before it began. For the 1st time both coaches were African American. You've come a long way baby! As I was watching I realized that to be a football player you must not only be a gymnast, but a wrestler, a short distant runner, an expert thrower and as graceful as a ballet dancer.
The second pass was so beautifully caught in a hurkey jump that I was now captivated and thus began my dissent into sport as an Art.

I came to the Super Bowl party originally to watch David and my other male friends go ballistic. When watching the game these players grab each others asses a lot. They bounce into each other in a animalistic connection and the men who watch this shout and react in gleeful abandon. Women are constantly begging men to relate and to show emotion and here it was unpressed.
I now know why men love The 3 Stooges.

I also became intrigued when I heard that this was The 10th most-watched program on TV and commercials base a major portion of their budget to woo customers. I counted 57 companies and that's not including the items worn or displayed, the feature films, and all the CBS shows. I was told that these were the best of the best and I was looking forward to them. I found them mostly violent, crass and unappealing. The best were by Doritos, Bud (Here's my favorite http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWYUJK828Dk), Coke, and Garmin whose work brought to mind the movies: Short Circuit, Godzilla and The Gods must be Crazy. The Sprint commercial I thought was a Cingular ad until they made it clear and then all I could think of was if I were the President of Cingular I'd be on the phone to my lawyer ASAP. Charities were represented by the Care Foundation and The United Way, again uninspired. I thought I was being critical till I read the New York Times and low and behold we think the same. Prince's concert was a technical marvel,while the whole artistic dance of the game took on a new dimension when played in torrential rain. Here's some interesting trivia: Those rings cost $5,000 a piece and they are given to approx. 150 team members and crew. The losing team gets jewelry which can be no more than ½ that price. Cod pieces are in now called cups. F.A.C.T.










David Lettermans top 10 "Reasons why the Bears Lost"
1. The Bears had to share the locker room with Prince

No comments: