Monday, September 14, 2009

F: Is for Couture Fashion...or not


For the past four seasons, I have been covering Couture fashion Week, presented by Andres Aquino. Andres is a little like the PT Barnum of the Fashion World. His shows have some great entertainment but the substance is sometimes lacking. Like most fashion shows it is highly disorganized starting at times more than an hour behind. Unlike most fashion shows it treats its press and its un-paid workers less than humane. Members of the press that are on the A, B or C list are not given the front row or the second but the third row, which makes it difficult to write about the fashions that walk down the runway. Sadly to say or in this case happy to say details are missed. The privilege of those first rows goes to paying attendees not even buyers, they also are treated like second class citizens. Being treated so poorly had me talking to the ushers who are treated even worse. They had gone all day with out food, water or even a kind word, so needless to say they had a lot to say. When treating people so unkindly the fashions better be worth the aggravation but they are not. Since I have other obligations, I was only able to attend the last shows and by Sunday, I no longer cared to even do that. September 11th's show included Joy Washington's three, yes, count them three bee like designs. The color scheme was yellow and black chiffon. It was like a bad production of "My Fair Lady." None of the outfits flattered the models including the one the designer pompously wore down the runway. Catlin Botezatu was next up and all I can say is this is suppose to be Spring and chunky fur chokers, don't cut it. Designers for the most part have a sense of color but alas Catlin Botezatu has none. You would of thought after day one I would of learned my lesson but alas....September 12th held Andres's collection. After more than hour and half violinist Alexander Markov played. Now, I love classical music but when I am dead tired and irritate at the treatment of all who were there even the soothing tones of Alexander could not calm this angry beast. Andrea's designs did not help either. Though a talented designer Andres, does not understand the concept of less is more. Unlike Ms. Washington three would of been good. Starting off with a sequined sheer body suit and a silver diaper wrap thoughts of who will ever wear this and why went through my head as well as my guest. Next up a collection of ill fitting, un-finished bathing suits emerged. Then a badly done collection reminiscent of Carmen strutted their stuff as singer Kimera sang opera. A hideous ballerina like outfit twirled for what seemed forever, showing off all the flaws in the design and then there was a beautiful gold sequined with a cape snake like piece at the end which made me want to see more of a collection like this. Yesterday I skipped the rest as the tents held a much better version of the styles and fashion of Spring 2010.

Will I attend next year....? That is a F.A.C.T that is yet to be determined.

No comments: