Monday, March 9, 2009

F: Is for Food that draws you in

I was on the Lower East Side, on my way to a show. I ran across a place, I am dying to try. A new "American food" restaurant on 71 Clinton caught my eye. For those of you who read me, you know I love Mac and Cheese. Hell, if it puts weight on and is good old fashion home cooking, I'm all for it, even if my waist is not. The menu, currently posted outside, included such appetizers as Chili & Chocolate Glazed Spare Ribs, $8, Pan Fried Mozzarella Balls herb roasted tomatoes and baby arugula, $6, Beet And Olive Tart crumbled goat cheese and beet jam $7. Oh, if only I had time. I was already starting to drool. Entree's came next: a Fat Hippo Burger Or Veggie Burger on a homemade rosemary bun, lettuce, tomato, and french fries, $8, Trailer Park Chicken Sampler: beer can roasted chicken breast, southern fried drumstick, smoked thigh meat, sautéed collard greens, raisin sauce and corn bread, $15 and Grilled Marinated Pork Chop pulled pork stuffing, bacon, sautéed brussels sprouts and maple-jalapeno mustard sauce, $13. Where was a napkin? Then the sides called to me: Pulled Pork Stuffing, $3, Mac N’ Cheese, $4. The establishment is run by Chris Scott (a producer-director who runs Great Scott Films), Jordan Solomon (formerly of Meet and Yucca Bar), and chef Ten Vong, who was the chef at Mercer Kitchen and Guastivino’s. The décor is chic and minimal the atmosphere relaxed. All I know is I gained 5 pounds just reading the menu and that's a F.A.C.T.

No comments: