Friday, August 1, 2008

S: Is for Spreading Light!

Most people know of the term "Randon Acts of Kindness' because of Oprah Winfry. Did you know yesterday was "Random Acts of Kindness Day"? Created by locals citizens in Hastings in the UK, they're hope is it will become a country-wide event, promoting kindness in communities, schools workplaces across the UK. My hope is it will spread even further. Encouraging people to make small acts of kindness is something that costs nothing and has a profound impact. They asked people to do little things, like taping a thank you note to the front door for the post person, putting an extra treat in your shopping basket to give to the person behind the cash register, or paying for the person behind you at a toll bridge or tunnel. Anything at all that makes someone else feel good. Spreading and receiving kindness which will create a ripple of happiness throughout the UK and beyond.


One summer I was depressed and my friend Stacy wanted to make me see the good in life again. I was staying in Provencetown MA and we would ride bikes early in the morning saying "Good Morning" to everyone we met. It became a game at who could catch a persons eye first and deliver the message. The amount of smiles, surprised looks and gratefulness was amazing. I started to look forward to waking up just to see this change we could create. One morning it was raining so I missed a few people. Later that day the people I missed found me and asked why I had not said "Good Morning". That small gestured had them looking forward to the morning as much as me. I tried to continue the ritual in NY but people hear are so afraid you want something from them that they become scared instead of just receiving. While on the bus or the subway I always try to smile at someone new and am almost always rewarded with a smile back. Whenever I make extra on a film or a paycheck I pay for someone I don't know subway or bus ride. It is such a blast to see that person become amazed that you would do something nice just because. It is easy to give to those who are in need but we all need to know we are cared about. Random acts of kindness brings out the best in not only the receiver but the giver.

They're is a website dedicated to just this philosophy www.actsofkindness.org

Saying "Good Morning", "Good Day"or just simply "Hello" costs nothing but it could mean everything to the person you are saying it to. We can make a difference and that is a simple F.A.C.T.

No comments: