Thursday, June 5, 2008

T: Is for Trauma at Duane Reade!

To start with, nobody I know likes the Duane Reade on 79th and Amsterdam. It is dirty, poorly stock, has some of the rudest employee's around, the lines are always about 20 deep but everyone shops there because the nearest drug store is about 8-10 blocks away. A month ago I went to get a prescription filled and I wanted to known the price and they refused and told me to get the price would take over 8 hours. Tonight I went to get kitty food at 6:50. I live down the street so I was thinking 10 minutes at the most. As I went down the kitty aisle I slipped. I was wearing a sarong and flip flops. Needless to say the whole dress opened up and I was left exposed. Imagine my embarrassment! You know that cliche where the person is hurt and nobody does anything? Well it is true. This was witnessed by about 10 people and the staff yet nobody came to me as I lay hurt. I heard voices calling to me "Are you ok" as I sent a muttered "NO!" As I got up realized there was a puddle of water from a water cooler with a disgusting rag that had been placed in the corner. The rag looked like it had catsup or blood on it. I had to ask for a manager who took over 10 minutes to arrive. When she did her blasé "you want a ambulance or what" without any concern had me irate. She did not ask me if I was hurt, would I like a chair or ice. I just told her I wanted to fill out a report which at first she told me didn't exist until I said that was against the law. Disappearing I stood in pain as my toe was swelling and my hip and forearm were dully aching. 10 minuets later the manager arrives back and all I can think does everything in this place have to do with 10's? Hurting, I ask when she was going to ask me if I wanted to sit. Rudely tells me she did and I refused, which was not the case. This argument went on for about 5 min. Ah, the 10's have disappeared. If I blink will this nightmare? No! So I ask for a copy of the report which she tells me she can not give me so I say I want the police. After all I need a record. Why, oh why did I leave without my cell. She reaches for her cell and dials then gives me the phone. The women who answers asks me where the fire is, I say I want the police. She takes down the address of where I am. The manager then asks me if I want to sit, but the puddle was still there and I am actually afraid to walk near it. So the manager finally has one of the staff bring a mop which is dirty beyond belief and when he mops smells distinctly of mold. I know this smell well as I am highly allergic. When I state this I am, I find out the mop had not been rinsed all day but I am wrong about the mold. I am not as I am starting to get nauseous. After just spreading the water all over the floor, they want me to walk to the chair. I say no, not till it is dry. Finally they break down and get some paper towels. The rag I mentioned is pushed to the corner. I sit waiting for the police as the manager does ask the one person still left who has witnessed this for her statement and her name which she does not want to give. I did however, see her buy $20 worth of medication at 7:37 so I asked the cashier who took her money what time it was. She will be easy to find as she is Asian. When I told the manager that fact she said she could make me a copy of the report now, something she said she could not do earlier. While I was sitting there I realize how dirty this place was as rat droppings are in view. The manager who never gave me her name or card then made me then wait in a line of 9 customers as I limped to the kitty food, to the line and out the door. At the register Chandra tells me the $5 reward I had had expired and was tearing it up until I asked to look at it. I then pointed out the date I received it which was 2 weeks ago and she laughed at her mistake. I left at 8:08 because the receipt is time stamped.

All I could think as I limped up the street was how many laws were broken? How many times did the manager not do what a manager is suppose to do? If I had been an elderly person or a child this could of caused damage that could of been fatal, yet it took me saying I wasn't moving for the water, which was extensive to be mopped up properly. When reading the report I realized Samesha ( finally learned her name by looking at the report) even got it wrong and lied on several facts. I couldn't read it at the time as my glasses were broken. She also never got me to sign it for her safety. I write this column because I was hurt unnecessarily due to lack of management and staff neglect, but when it comes down to it Corporation neglect. Follow this as I will keep you abreast of what happens, for as I write this my toe is huge, my arm is lumped and my hip is throbbing and turning a hideous purple and this could of been avoided and that is the sad F.A.C.T.

No comments: