Saturday, March 8, 2008

F: Is for Food Fetishes!

Last night I was invited to dinner by PR guru Desta, who wanted to introduce me to his newest client. 24 Prince Street is nestled between Mott & Elizabeth in NoLita and oozes comfort from the moment you open the door. Managed by Brad Grossman, Chris Heller and one of the next contestants on Top Chef Chicago Chef Nikki Cascone. I was so excited to experience this night as I am a big fan of Top Chef and have always wanted to taste some of the signature dishes I watched with mouth watering envy and here was my chance before the show even aired. Seating 52 in the main dining room, a private back room and a backyard area this is a well designed space, with distressed leather couches that made you want to relax and enjoy what was to come. I started with a signature cocktail of Mango puree, Malibu rum and fresh coconut and was delighted at the pleasantness of the textures. My business partner Tom joined us and had the Pinot Noir which I later switched too and highly recommend. On the menu were some of my favorite things, macaroni and cheese, meatloaf and creme brulee. Yum! We started with the Jumbo Lump Crab Fritters in a avocado & citrus, pomegranate $14, Grilled Flatbread with sausage, pecorino & pesto $11 and 24 Prince Mac & Cheese in a smoked gouda & pancetta sauce $ 7/14. All these dishes were generous and were beyond amazing. I can not say enough about the Mac and Cheese. I am now ruined for life. I seriously wanted to pick the bowl up and lick. Decadent with Orecchiette pasta which is perfect for holding the sauce which is done to perfection. I wanted to get on my cell and start calling all the people I wanted to turn onto this dish. I know I sound fanatical but you know that question if you could take three things to a desert island what would it be? Yeah, definately this. We moved onto a fresh salad with a white balsamic & mint vinaigrette. The salad was colorful and crisp and the dressing light and refreshing. Entree's were Meat loaf wrapped in puff pastry with barbeque sauce, mashed potatoes topped with kale and escarole $17 Pan Seared Salmon crusted with pumpkin seed, chili -tomato & herb salsa and Roasted Free-Range Chicken with a seasonal vegetable pot pie both $18. Again all portions were generous and all had their own original twist on a traditional item which made them unique. I had already glanced at the dessert menu so I knew to save room as I am a sugar addict. Unless a restaurant can wow me in this department I am never truly a fan. They did not disappoint. To our table came coconut creme brulee, crusted gingerbread with homemade cinnamon ice creme and zeppoi's with warm chocolate sauce and homemade vanilla ice creme. I live near Cafe Lalo and these desserts put it to shame. Everything melted in your mouth once it entered and left the most exquisite tastes. Though I was beyond stuffed I managed more bites than I should of because it was so delightful. Once Top Chef airs you will need a reservation to enter (212) 226-8624. If I have not enticed you enough check out the rest of the menu at www.24prince.com This is a restaurant you definitely should check out for lunch, brunch and dinner. You will not be disappointed.

Nikki, if you were not chosen as Top Chef you are in my book because all I can think about is ordering your Mac and Cheese and eating off a human dish, for that is the only way it can be improved upon and that is certainly a food fetish decadent F.A.C.T.

No comments: