Monday, February 25, 2008

F: Is for the grade of this years Academy Awards

How do you bore one million people? Answer: this years academy awards. In a season where we learned that there can't be an award show unless someone else pens your words we get host Jon Stewart's inane remarks. I don't watch a lot of television so I hadn't a clue who Jon Stewart was and I pray to God I never have to watch him again. I am a writer and the strike effected me. I neither find it funny nor tasteful when he joked about the end of the writers' strike stating "tonight, welcome to the makeup sex." Though I am not a Hillary Clinton fan I don't find calling "Away From Her" the story of a woman who forgets her own husband, Hillary Clinton's choice for feel-good movie of the year, funny. Remarking Diablo Cody got a pay cut going from stripper to screenwriter was certainly not in good taste and if I were her I'd sue!. Not being a violent person I seriously wanted to scream "Shut UP!" and I was not the only one. Everyone watching this rendition of what once was a program we loved, now had us bored and angered. Oscars eightieth year was old, tired and in need. The brief, historic clips made no sense. Movies with binoculars, bees and other senseless items had me wondering who really wrote this crap! You know it's bad when the best moment was the winning of a documentary called "Taxi to the Dark Side". Though I am a huge fan of Michael Moore's "Sicko" this documentary about an Afghan taxi driver who was beaten to death while in the custody of the U.S. military had me praising those trying to bring this to the publics attention." The filmmaker who accepted the award offered one of the few politicized statements of the night, alluding to Abu Ghraib and wars in the Middle East deserved getting applause for saying "Let's hope we can turn this country around. Move away from the dark side and back to the light." I also perplexed at the best song category which normally I love. As much as I loved "Enchanted" I could see the song "Raise the Roof" winning but when "Falling Slowly," from the film "Once" won I was in shock. As the song played all the people in the room where I was watching turned to each other and asked if the others liked it and none of us did. We were all musicians and we hated it. Though the speeches of the winners were grateful my ears and my taste were incensed. Maybe you had to see the movie to appreciate it. But there was yet one more things to shock and surprise. Marion Cotillard won for best actress for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in "La Vie En Rose." I'm sorry the film is in French. I can understand her winning the foreign press award along with Julie Christie but she lost to Julie at the SAG awards and aren't the academy's voted on by the same people? However Her dress was the best of the evening and her speech "You've rocked my life, you've truly rocked my life!" "Thank you life! Thank you love! It is true, there some angels in this city!" made her incredibly grateful.

It was a stunningly great year for film yet it turned out to be just like most of the dresses and hairstyles unkempt, unglamorous and not at all up to par and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: