Thursday, January 17, 2008

T: Is for Innovative Technology


Since getting a macbook in November I have been Apples biggest fan. Before November I had only used PC's though I owned an apple 5 years ago for less than 2 weeks. At the time I could not understand how to use it. What I didn't know then that I know now, is that Apple gives free group classes daily and for $99 you can sign up for one on one classes. That is how I learned to build my websites and myspace pages. Until those classes I hadn't a clue.

Two days ago Steve Jobs introduced Apples newest product The Air. The Air so far is the biggest product release of the year as well as the thinnest. The advertising states small enough to get a paper cut. Weighing in at three-pounds this portable is small enough to fit into a manila envelope. The keypad is elegant with high definition. The iSight cam is like the one adorning the current line of MacBooks, only round. This laptop claims to need alot less trips to the Genius Bar. A multi touch like the iPhone is the current trend.


But what it doesn't have for its baseline price of $1,799 is an optical DVD drive, a non-expandable memory and a missing Ethernet port. Many of those missing features are the trade off for having a thinner machine. The Battery is non-removable and contains only 5 hours compared to the current 7-9. The anemic specs on the hard drive (64-80GB), dearth of USB ports (1), make it unsuitable for the multimedia tasks of a working computer.

There are those who have to have the newest gadget and this is definitely it. I however would wait because though everyone loved the sleekness of this new toy the critics were all in agreement of what was missing. My guess is that they will change. However if you want to be the first in line you can pre-order this at MAC and in two weeks you will be the first. These are the F.A.C.T.S.

No comments: