Sunday, June 10, 2007

F: Is for fresh ingredients


I had been memorized that people were standing in line for ice cream so when my friend Caroline suggested we do it, I said why not. We needed to catch up anyway and the night was stunning. Located at 2165 Broadway between 76th and 77th GROM has moved in. Importing itself from Turin Italy, Americans are in for a tasty treat.

Grom is ice cream of the highest quality. Their principles are strict: only fresh fruit and when it is in season, no colouring or additives that are not natural. San Bernardo's mineral water is the base for the sorbets and high quality full-fat fresh milk for the creams. The eggs are from organic chickens and selections of the best cocoa and coffee's from central America round off the ingredients. The results are a quasi-religious experience. See if this wets your appetite. “High-grade Ecuadorian and Venezuelan chocolate, hazelnut paste from Piedmont, Italian and Madagascar vanilla,” ripe off the vines strawberries, melons, apricots, peaches, raspberries and figs.

Caroline ordered gianduja an intensely flavored roasted hazelnut and chocolate, which she paired with Tiramisu made with Ecuadorian chocolate and coffee. The aftertaste was like eating a piece of solid dark chocolate (not your typical chocolate ice cream). I tried cinnamon from Sri Lanka and Zabaglione with real Sicilian Marsala. If you are feeling a bit down… this is the perfect recipe for you! The cost of all of this perfection? A small cup goes for $4.75, about a dollar more than most other gelato brands. When I say small, I mean 5 bites . The large cup was a whopping $9.75. I can state that I was completely satisfied by the small cup and unlike other brands I was not bloated but completely sated. Will I be back? That depends on my will power and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: