Tuesday, March 6, 2007

C: Is for the creativeness of Nicole Farhi

I had written most of the columns for this week except today's because I was stumped as who to write about. I had already committed myself to Women over 40 making a difference and after Nan Kempler who influenced a fashion industry but was a failure to herself.
I wanted someone like Tiffany who excelled as both a person and an artist. I had been sent an invitation to Vanity Fair & Nicole Farhi: A Celebration of Style at 202, 75 Ninth Ave. I did some research on Nicole and prayed this was the answer. It was. Since the early eighties Nicole has been a major name in England. She has influenced men’s and women’s clothing and her home furnishing lines have gained popularity here in the US. Uptown’s Nicole’s and downtown’s 202 are her two retail stores and restaurants. The food is delightful, try melt in your mouth lamb. Combining the old with the new, the comfortable with the tailored, Farhi has created a line that is excessable to all ages while retaining a beauty in her choices of color. I love when you mix pumpkin, damask rose and teal with a stark white, peach and sea foam green to create a spectrum that is universal. Her home goods mirror her clothing’s raw fabrics, natural hues and unstructured shapes. The antiques accumulated from her world travels are blended in. When visiting 202 I thought of all my friends who are refurbishing farm houses and wanted to immediately send them here to shop. Farhi is 60 and states she has no plans to slow down.“I don’t think I will ever retire,” she says. “My life is very full. Sixty is not an old age as long as the brain cells are working and the imagination flows.” Reminiscent of the old French Connection label I was not surprised but elated to learn the designs I adored and missed were Farhi’s. Attracting an enviably star-studded roster of customers David Beckham, Bill Nighy, Julianne Moore and Nicole Kidman are just a few of her admirers. Nicole's passion is also sculpting and is represented in the art scene as well. While waiting to talk to her a distinguished man introduced himself and in a instant I learned she is married to Sir David Hare, one of the most political playwrights of our time. Currently he is represented on B'way in "The Vertical Hour" and he is directing the soon to open "The Year Of Magical Thinking" with Vanessa Redgrave. I am a huge fan of Mr Hare having performed in "Plenty". He also wrote the screenplay for my friend Michael Cunningham's "The Hours". Nicole met David at the opening night of his play Murmuring Judges in 1991. "I helped the designer to dress the leading lady.” Nicole is down to earth, talented and the reason F.A.C.T. choose to admire and honor women who have things to contribute over 40 despite all he hype.

No comments: