Wednesday, March 28, 2007

C: Is for the architexture of clothing


There are times that you get invited to events and the joy of what you discover is so multi layered that you are thrilled beyond all expectation. Last night was one of those rare moments. When I got the invitation to see an art installation at the Girbaund Boutique at 47 Wooster in Soho I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. Was it art? Was it clothing? Was it "Seeds of Peace" and what was "Seeds of Peace"? My instinct told me to go, so on the journey I went. It was all that and more. For the sake of this article not turning epic I will stick to the clothing and the amazing designer whose vision is global. Marithé and François Girbaud’s designs sometimes echo an androgynous feeling with overtly femine accents. Details like ribbons and off quiltered buttons add unique touches. The soft embroideries mate with zippers for a bold yet subtle statement. It is poetic urban wear with volume and texture.
In the 1960's Marithe and François Girbaud were somewhat of an anomaly in Paris when they began importing cowboy garb. This husband and wife team were out to represent the French population obsessed with music and American cinema. Being the true pioneers that they are, this duo began experimenting with denim washes in laundries around Paris, ultimately producing stonewash. Though this style was a huge success, it never took hold in the French market. Girbaud, however, did extremely well in America and Italy and continues to pursue setting trends on an international scale. Their jeans are inspired by French work clothes. For those who have owned them it seems they are their favorite pair as stated by several Bloggs and articles I found. Until tonight I'd never heard of this designer. I thought I knew fashion and I now realize I have lived under a rock. All I can think of is did I not pay attention to the brand of jeans I was wearing? It was not so much as a status symbol then as what was funky and individual. Most popular are the Shuttle jeans, which have knee and ankle adjustable velcro straps that come in a large variety of colours to match. One of the highlights of the evening was meeting and getting to know François Girbaud. Animated he talks with lively arm movements, projecting strong, messages of world peace, communication and global warming. This is a man who puts weight behind his words backing "Seeds of Peace" (see Fridays column) and commissioning a polyester/petrel living wall for oxygen (see tomorrows column) as well as aesthetic beauty. He has an inherent need to break rules and make changes in order to move himself and society as a whole forward. Passionate and un-egotistical he takes responsibility for his actions. His fashion is an evolutionary work in process, that has to blend realistically within our lifestyles. Always quenching his thirst for the new, he recently tackled "lazerblading" (clean, hem-free fabric cuts) and "thermal fusion" (heat fusion to replace stitching). His current puzzle solving agenda includes developing, skin-protective bathing suits. Caring for the environment his clothing is biodegradable and giving back to the earth. But the collection is not just about clothes. Flat studded boots and shoes are the accessories of choice. For the past four years M&F have commissioned installations for their stores called "Construkt". This years "The Hanging Garden of Pulp" and it creator Zoe Bradly deserve their own column...so look for it on Tuesday. This clothing is pricey but so well made and individually different it is worth the price. I can promise you my next big pay check will be purchasing this Fabulous midnight blue dress with grey piping and corset style back and that is a F.A.C.T.

No comments: